Thursday, January 17, 2008

District 2 Debate

I have to wonder again if the the Tribune and the Arizona Republic even attend the same events. The District 2 forum took place and it sounds like a lot of interesting things happpened. Well, at least thats how the Arizona Republic sees it. The Trib has a much more ho hum report on the forum.

As for the district candidates, I think that the bond package is going to be more of an issue as we move forward. Alex Finter wants a sales tax dedicated to Police and Fire. Manny Cortez supports a secondary property tax. Two different ways to solve the same problem, neither method is going to be all that popular. Especially since our sagging sales tax revenue is what has put our deficit at $12.5 million. As people have more time to look at the bond package itself, whats contained in it, and how much its going to cost to pay for it, I think its going to creep more and more into the debate.

It sounds like the candidates might have had some trouble getting a word in edgewise among the comments in the crowd. First, I am glad to see that people finally are showing up and making their voice heard. Second, I completely agree with Jeff Eger when he says that its time to "Make Mesa fun again." Its a concise way to talk about some of the real issues that face our city.

From there, it seems to have devolved into a "woulda/coulda/shoulda" debate about the primary property tax. I don't really know if that is helpful because its clear where the voters stood on that whether they like it or not. However, Mesa should be a city that can sustain business and keep up with the things that they are committed to do. Clearly, like the people said in the forum, there is a problem.

So, the real question is now, who do you trust to solve it?

1 comment:

AZBaseballFan said...

I was there last night. Either council candidate would be good. Finter is a little more polished but I'm not sure if all of his ideas on finances are right. I went in undecided on the Mayor's race and came out 100% in favor of Smith. He answered with confidence every question that was asked and presented by far the best plan for changing Mesa. We need a leader and a do something mayor and he's going to be the one. I've lived in Mesa 35 years and now realize why I'm sick of the same people coming through the door. The reason property taxes lose every time is because people don't trust anyone in there. Now is the time to clean house, get back that trust and do what's right for the city.
I suggest you attend one of the meetings, it was extremely helpful to me and the format was good. They give time to the audience first and then the candidates answer questions. Until we have a fresh slate (when was the last time we had 5 of 7 brand new people), the trust will never be there. After last night, I now am firmly behind Smith. He's a CPA which I like and has successfully managed a huge business.