Tuesday, October 2, 2007

You Get Two Weeks to Mourn

Mesa wants roadside memorials taken down

You'd think we live in a city with no major problems that the code enforcement team has the time to go around and make sure to cite everyone with a roadside memorial. They say that they aren't going around and looking for it, but I am not so sure. Now, Rex Griswold has taken a stand! This is a very touchy subject, and I was pretty surprised that he was willing to lay down such a hard line, since its my impression that making tough decisions isn't always in his nature. Here are my thoughts on the subject:

1. Kudos to Griswold for making a stand - albeit, probably not a very popular one. I don't know what it gets him politically, but hey, he is sticking to it. I totally reserve the right for takebacks if he comes out and reverses his decision if this article gets any backlash.

2. Is there really an appropriate amount of time that a memorial should have? I have seen ones that have been up for a couple weeks and ones that have been up for a couple of years. As long as its not causing any propblems, I don't see why the city even needs to be involved. Complaints about ugliness are not the same as safety complaints.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I find it interesting that Rex Griswold chimed in about the length of time a roadside memorial can stay up and then decides to put his campaign signs up so they can sit there on the corner for 5 months. Typical for someone in the City of Mesa to do something like that and I'd love to hear what he would say about it now after his signs started popping up.

Informed Mesa Voter said...

For the record, Rex was making reference to broken glass from candle holders for the location where a biker and gang member were killed and the city had received complaints. Rex was not referring to the fine young man that was killed. In fact his daughter went to school with him.

Mesa Issues said...

Thats not what he said. His direct quote from the paper is:

"I think two weeks is a reasonable time" for memorials, Griswold said. "We allow them the two weeks to grieve and then they should come down."