Thursday, October 18, 2007

Is BlogNetNews being gamed?

I have not been on BlogNetNews for very long, and I appreciate the fact that they are willing to add me. You know what I don't appreciate? The fact that someone, or a few someones for that matter, take the time to go through and rank everyone with a 1. I think my cumulative rating is something like a 1.38. So thanks for everyone who takes the time to rate with something besides a 1! I have always been miffed, but then someone named "Chester" sent me this observation:

"Awhile back, I checked blognetnews after all of the rankings have been reset for the week. I noticed that Seeing Red had a 10 ranking. Just for interest, I ranked them a 1 to see what would happen. The feedback I received said that their new ranking for the week is 8.5. When do the math, you find that there were 5 people who ranked the blog a perfect 10. 5 people since the ranking was reset that morning."

Well, that is interesting... lets look at the rankings:

Seeing Red AZ (8.43)
Daniel's News & Views (3.88)
Sustainability, Equity, Development (3.31)
Politico Mafioso (2.89)
ThinkRight Arizona (2.87)
The Arizona Report (2.38)
Random Musings (2.29)
Arizona Political Heat (2.06)
Mesa Issues (2.00)
Espresso Pundit (1.57)
Red State Arizona (1.56)
AZ Political Intel (1.56)
Arizona 8th (1.13)
The Sonoran Alliance (1.11)
AZPoliticalNews (1.00)
Gabby Watch (1.00)
wactivist.com (1.00)
Musing (1.00)
BorderReporter.com (1.00)
AZplace (1.00)
El Gringo (1.00)
Rum, Romanism and Rebellion (1.00)
AZNetroots (1.00)
LiberalDesert (1.00)
Sacred Mountain Blues (1.00)
m2powered communications solutions (1.00)
Data Port (1.00)
Blog For Arizona (1.00)
Man Eegee (1.00)
LIGHTHOUSE (1.00)
zonitics.com (1.00)
Spidelblog (1.00)
A Democrat's Lament (1.00)

Not that these rankings really mean anything, but could it be that it only takes about 5 people to skew the rankings so heavily? If 5 people come on every day and give Seeing Red AZ a 10 and the rest of us a 1, it might just be possible.

Don't get me wrong, I read Seeing Red AZ, just like a lot of other people do and I generally like what the guy has to say. Its just interesting that it appears that a lot of effort is taken to try to control the BNN rankings.

No comments: