Thursday, August 21, 2008

Where does Steve Court stand?

Sonoran Alliance and Thoughts on Mesa both have posts about the correlation between people who are supporting Steve Court for District 18 House and those who are supporting Kevin Gibbons for District 18 Senate. This is a subject we mentioned before with the issue of them sharing sign posts.

The blogs go on to point to a recent question from District 18 Chairman Matt Tolman, who asked each House candidate who they were supporting in the Senate race:

Cecil Ash: I am supporting Russell Pearce for the Senate. The fact that you endorse candidates does not mean that you agree with them on every issue. Notwithstanding that, I have supported Russell in the past and intend to do so this election, as I see no reason to change. I believe he genuinely tries to do what’s best for Arizona and I agree with him on most of the issues. He has been a catalyst in getting the illegal immigration issue recognized, and dealt with, and he has also fought hard for a balanced budget and reduced spending. These are my positions as well. Any one who talks to him personally would know that he is very knowledgeable on many issues, more so than most legislators. I do not always agree on the way he approaches some things, and I’m sure he may not agree with the way I approach some things. Nevertheless, I believe I can work well with Russell.

I have many good friends who have indicated to me that they are not supporting Russell for various reasons. If so, I hope it will not be because they believe the distortions and false statements being promulgated by those who wish to oust Russell. Let his opponents object to his positions on issues or his temperament. Let them argue that he doesn’t listen or advocate that it is merely time for someone else with new ideas.

But the politics of personal destruction, the distortions and exaggerations of the truth do a disservice to the political process, and show a lack of respect for either the voter, or the promulgator’s position on the issues. Let’s win our arguments by the power of reason and the strength of our positions, without name calling or vilifying our opponents.

I believe that I could get along with Kevin Gibbons. He appears to be a good family man and I trust that he feels that he would be best for Arizona. However, I hope that he would take the high road in this campaign and elevate the debate to a discussion of the issues. I hope that in the future he will avoid disparaging Russell personally, and distance himself as well from those who do.

We get what we vote for. And we deserve what we get. There is a cause and effect in the political process. Those who vote based on lies and distortions will reap a government that is administered by liars and distorters of the truth.

Kanani Henderson:I am supporting Russell for the Senate. I believe in his experience and track record. He allowed me to shadow him at the capital this past session and I was able to see first hand how much he cares about doing what is right and protecting the rights of the people he serves. I also appreciate his hard stance on fiscal issues and the way he has not allowed himself to fall into the negativity of the current election cycle.

Ron Middlebrook:I will be voting for Russell Pearce.

Steve Court:For the first time in a while, our district has some choices for Republican candidates for both the House and Senate. I am not a big fan of politicians endorsing other politicians. I have not sought endorsements from other politicians, nor have I given endorsements.

It is the endorsement of the voters that we need to be seeking. We have good candidates in both races and I think that the best thing that the district and precincts can do is to encourage the voters to study each candidate and vote for that person that best represents their views and opinions. I believe that any of the House candidates could work with either of the Senate candidates to represents district 18 well.

As you can see, three out of the four say that they are going for Pearce. Court doesn't give answer. When it comes to legislature, the last time I checked, representatives were asked to vote Yes or No. It doesn't seem to be a great idea to be wishy washy out of the gate. The legislature is already chock full of people who can't make a decision.

ETA: Court has added the following comment to the stories:

"As I drive around town, and I do that a lot, to try and set up new signs, I see just as many of my signs in yards with Pearce as I do with Gibbons. I see my signs in yards with Ash, and I see my signs in yards with Middlebrook. I don't dictate who my supporters vote for, I am just pleased when they support me. To set the record straight, I am not running with Pearce, Gibbons, Ash or Middlebrook."

Well, that certainly clears things up... or not. You'd think that with the Republic coming out for Gibbons, this would be as good of a day as any to announce your thoughts one way or another. Sounds like he is going to single-shot himself in the house race.

Will he vote for someone in the Senate? Will he admit after the fact who he voted for? This smacks of one of those scenarios where he stays quiet throughout the whole race and then after the fact, he will go to the winner and say, "I was telling people to vote for you all along."


No comments: