Thursday, August 21, 2008

Arts Center to get Marquee

The Mesa Arts Center is getting a digital marquee. Do they need it? Probably. Is it good timing? Probably not.

The city is strapped for cash and many people are having a hard time filling up their gas tank. Perhaps now was not the time to tell voters that you had $200,000 socked away in art center improvement funds. I am sure that the fund is dedicated revenue, and I would even bet that some of the money was donated. However, the key here, once again, is perception.

To the average person, it looks like Mesa is paying for things that we don't need while it can't afford basic services. The response from Kavanaugh, while accurate, comes off as procedural and bureaucratic. Tell me its going to increase revenue, tell me its going to revitalize downtown, tell me that it will attract bigger acts. Tell me something more than, "The money was there, so we spent it."

No comments: