Thursday, April 3, 2008

Did the Mesa PD fail Issurah Jackson?

Make sure to weigh in on if you think the Mesa PD failed Issurah Jackson. Its really interesting to see what people have to say. For the most part, the people who took the time to weigh in believe that the PD did NOT fail, which is what I believe.

Like I said yesterday, its a truly tragic situation and my heart goes out to everyone who was involved. There was no way of knowing with the limited information from Sunday who this assailant was or if he would do something like this again. Sending out heightened police presence and sounding all of the alarms could have the potential to create a public hysteria.

Its important to be vigilant in making sure people are doing the right thing and behaving as society expects. Living in a civilized society for most, means agreeing to abide by a social contract in which you agree to live your life and not do harm to others. You have to trust that other people are going to do the same. When people break that promise, it has horrific and tragic results. However, we can't spend all of our time assuming that people are out there waiting to hurt us.

We have already grown to have a more than healthy amount of mistrust in our lives. I don't know about you but I always think that the news is slanted and every time I have ever dealt with a car dealer, I always feel like he is trying to screw me over.

We have to find a balance between doing our best to assure people's safety while maintaining our individual rights and freedoms. So no, I don't think that the Mesa PD failed Issurah Jackson. Now I do fear for the overreaction that is more than likely to take place which has the potential to have a crippling effect on Fiesta Mall and the entire surrounding area.

2 comments:

Dennis K. said...

I share your sentiments exactly. Too many people have jumped to conclusions not based on factual information.

lynnette said...

FIRST OF ALL . . .they should have let the public know that someone was stabbed at the mall and maybe let us decide if we want to go there. because i know for a fact that if my brother knew, he would NOT have been there. They SHOULD have said something. i have loss someone that i dearly loved. he was a good person a loving person.