Wednesday, April 9, 2008

About Endorsements

This is an interesting bit of news. Scott Smith's campaign made a mistake in including a Rex Griswold supporter on an invitation to an upcoming fundraiser. I haven't really heard of Suzanne Davis, so I don't know if its a big deal or not, but it never helps to have someone publicly say they are not supporting you. On the other hand, the newspaper just publicized Smith's fundraiser for free and reminded people that he is being supported by the three newly elected council members and other Mesa leaders.

What is interesting to me is how Griswold is handling the whole thing. First, warning Smith to be careful is a funny bit of advice when he has been charged for a bit of his own carelessness in the form of campaign violations. Herzog takes a little bit of time away from Smith bashing to make a similar observation.

Second, he tries to turn the tide of positive stories for Scott Smith by claiming that Smith is "trying to get all the endorsements (he) can." It conjures up this image of Smith running all over town begging people to support him. Thats an interesting twist in a story where he is trying to make hay over endorsements.

Seems to me that we have recently seen several prominent people step forward and say that between Griswold and an unknown, they would rather go with the unknown. What does that say about his brand of leadership?

I think the commenter Thinkindependent said it best:

"Its always the person with a crappy number of endorsements who say its not a big deal."

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I know Suzanne Davis and live near her. While I have not ever talked to her about this, I'm assuming that she committed to Griswold years ago before Smith or anyone else was ever running for mayor. I know for a fact that the Davis family has a deeper and more long standing relationship with Smith than Griswold and this probably has more to do about honoring a commitment to a Rotary buddy than a firm endorsement. Just my guess though

emesa said...

Suzanne was a former School Board member, I believe.

Unknown said...

That is correct.