Thursday, March 27, 2008

I'd like an ice cream cake and foot massage too!

Police Chief George Gascón told the City Council today that Mesa needs a property tax (here is the Tribune version). I don't necessarily disagree with him that public safety should have a permanent funding source, but I don't think making outright demands is the best way to make your opinion heard.

First, voters voted down a property tax just two years ago. Nothing has really been done to change their minds since. Second, we are in a crashing economy. Gee, I wonder if voters are going to want to pay more taxes.

I like Gascón, I am not ashamed to admit it. He has implemented some good things for the city and his heart is certainly in the right place. I just think he needs to take some time to figure out how to communicate with the people of this fair city.

Here's a hint, let us know what you are doing well, and maybe we'll have a better opinion of the city. If you show for awhile that the city is getting better, perhaps then, people might be willing to open up their pocketbooks.

Public safety is essential to the city, but the first job is to prove that you are doing absolutely the best job you can with the money you already have.

No comments: