Monday, March 3, 2008

Better check that again...

Well, as a few people have pointed out to me, I think that the Tribune's survey might have a few problems. I have had a few comments and emails about the geographic balance of the survey saying that it doesn't favor the East part of Mesa like it should. I guess would be that it would Rex Griswold because it includes his district, but I am guessing that it might also help Smith. The trib says that Smith did well with older folks, and there are a LOT of older people out there. I thought I would give the survey a chance, until I saw that the Trib is reporting that the survey says people would be willing to support a property tax.

Actually, it says that people would potentially support a nebulous tax for police and fire, but it doesn't mention the amount or for how long. I seriously doubt that two years after a bitter failure of a primary property tax, the voters are ready to turn around and vote for just any old property tax. Now, they might be able to be convinced to support a very specific bond package that has police and fire in it, but even that is doubtful to me. Everyone that I talk to is not ready to start paying more taxes. Plus, the older folks I talk to remind me constantly that they moved to Mesa because the taxes were low. Now, I think that something needs to be done about Police and Fire - I just think that a little more research needs to be done before they go off and try to pass more taxes.

No comments: